Saturday, April 27, 2013

Jesse Chance's Letter to the Editor April 24, 2013


I have been a resident of the village of New Paltz for most of my adult life. My son attended the New Paltz Middle School and went on to graduate from the High School with distinction. My career and social life could well be termed village-centric. As such, I have had ample opportunity to get to know all four of the candidates for the two village board seats slated to become vacant soon. To begin, let me say that I have nothing but respect for Tom Rocco's contributions to and for the community of New Paltz, Ulster County and New York in general. However, his statement that he "was reluctant to take on more official duties" does not fill me with confidence. I have no wish to vote for a village board member who is simply running to bolster the political agenda of others. It is a four year term that begs for more passion and dedication than his platform broadcasts.

I have also long been friendly with Jon Cohen. Be that as it may, I do remember Jon's previous political campaigns in this village. I find it hard to believe that "common sense" would have much if anything to do with a stint by Cohen on the village board.

On the other hand, Rebecca Rotzler did an admirable job in her term as deputy mayor, and her passion for helping others is undeniable.  In a town like New Paltz (as of 2009, average age 21.5, 37.1% with income below the poverty level and rental percentage well above New York average), I feel that our board must (when possible) include a renter. Personally, I think it is crucial to offset the opinion of those that have with that of those who have not. Just sayin'.  I am confident that Rebecca will competently, considerately and honestly deliberate over the ongoing consolidation debate and act according to facts, not desires. Furthermore, you can bet she will vigorously strive to better our community throughout her four year term.

Last, but not least, I feel this town has done Don Kerr a disservice in recent years. This is a man none can deny is dedicated to this community. Don has given us years of service and has a demonstrable history of bridge building. For some to write him off as "having baggage" is to brashly discard the American tenet of "innocent until proven guilty.” Last I checked, he was acquitted! We deem ourselves a progressive community, but time after time, our actions brand us as conservative with all the baggage that that term implies.

I believe our village board should be representative of a broad cross section of our diverse community. I do not think we would be well served by a one note committee. I will be writing in the names Rebecca Rotzler and Don Kerr on May 7th because I wish for a village board that is a true representation of all of New Paltz.

Jesse Chance
New Paltz

No comments:

Post a Comment